Montag, 15. Oktober 2018

How to create a bootable USB stick from a Acronis ISO file without Acronis Rescue Media Builder?

Very often I boot the Acronis True Image from a bootable USB stick to make a backup from a entire disk. The problem with Acronis True Image for me is that if I want to do recovery from an Acronis disk image I always forgot which Acronis version I originally used to create it.
My idea was to save the image file of the bootable USB stick, which was created by the Acronis Rescue Media Builder, in the same location as the disk image. So in case of recovery I just need to recreate the bootable USB stick from the USB image file and do not need to install the dedicated Acronis version on a machine first and then use the Rescue Media Builder to create a bootable USB stick. Fortunately Acronis Rescue Media Builder has the option to save the bootable image to an ISO file (e.g. AcronisBootablePEMedia.iso). So the only thing I need is an application which can create a bootable USB stick from the ISO file. The application I use for this is YUMI. Of course there are many other applications out there which can create a bootable USB stick from the ISO file too. The good thing with YUMI is that the app do not need to be installed and has a very small file size.
Make sure you choose "Try Unlisted ISO (GRUB)" in YUMI:


It happens that the USB stick don't boot correctly. In this case I try to do a "reset" to the USB stick. To "reset" the USB stick I use the Windows built-in Diskpart with the following commands:

list disk
select disk [number]
clean
create partition primary
partition 1
active
format fs=fat32 quick
assign
exit
 But be careful with Diskpart, you could destroy your data with Diskpart!!! If you don't know what diskpart is good for, please don't use it.

References:

Keine Kommentare: